“I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up.”
Because those decades-old commercials became a pop-culture punchline, older adults don’t always embrace traditional medical alert devices. However, the danger of falling is no joke; more than one in four older people tumbles yearly.
Seniors need to call for help when no phone is available. Today, a smartwatch for seniors can give older adults and their family members essential health data in real time, access to emergency services, and peace of mind. Learn about the benefits of a smartwatch for seniors.
Senior Smartwatches Can Support Medical Alerts and Emergency Calls
Devices capable of sending medical alerts can be lifesavers for anyone who lives alone with a health concern or takes medication that puts them at risk of a fall.
But traditional devices can be unsightly and uncomfortable. Seniors often see such devices as constant and unwelcome reminders of their increasing age.
However, smartwatches are a much better option. On the surface, they look like sleek watches or fitness trackers worn by people of all ages. They can even add style while providing life-saving technology.
Thanks to their many advantages over traditional senior care technology, senior smartwatches are growing in popularity. With more older people aging in place, the medical alert wearable market will increase to $9.6 billion by 2025. The new generation of technology enables seniors to live independently and confidently, knowing they can make an emergency call anywhere and anytime.
Additional Features for Today’s Seniors’ Safe and Active Lifestyle
The best medical alert devices boast various features, making them total health watches for seniors. These features often include:
- Heart rate monitor to identify potential problems requiring immediate medical intervention.
- Pedometer to record health data like steps taken and burned calories.
- GPS location services to make it easy for emergency personnel to reach a senior in an emergency.
- Water-resistant device to let seniors call for help even while bathing or swimming.
- Two-way communication with a trained operator at the touch of a button to obtain help that is never farther away than an older adult’s wrist.
- Integration with other smart devices providing medication and appointment reminders to help seniors stay on top of daily health routines.
The ideal smartwatch for seniors offers features in a simple, stylish, easy-to-use device, giving older adults the freedom to live safely.
Questions to Help You Choose the Right Watch for Seniors
The growing medical alert device market means you have many options. As you compare different devices to find the one that best suits your loved one, consider these questions:
- Is the device comfortable or heavy and intrusive?
- How do emergency alert services work? Who answers the calls?
- What is the device’s range? How far will the device work?
- What’s the battery life? How is it charged?
- Will the device work in only a specific geographic area?
- Does setup require downloading extra software or updates?
- How loud is the speaker?
- Is the screen easy to read?
- Can family members and other emergency contacts connect to the device? How?
- Are health data and other information stored on the device secure?
The Best Smartwatch for Seniors: Choose the WellBe® Smartwatch for Extra Peace of Mind
Senior care technology has come a long way over the years. However, many of the first senior care technology companies must catch up to their competition. Multiple industry founders still use a dated, plastic pendant with a button that stops working once you leave home.
While these creators paved the way for senior assistive technology, your senior has better contemporary options, such as the smartwatch for older populations. As a present-day industry-leading piece of senior care technology, the WellBe Smartwatch is one of the best health watches for seniors. In addition, the watch stores health data on a secure, HIPAA-compliant platform, ensuring privacy.
A senior watch with fall detection is also a critical feature of smartwatches for elderly citizens, allowing them to get in contact with emergency personnel even if they cannot physically do so in the event of a fall. The WellBe Medical Alert Round Watch is valuable for seniors. This sleek watch provides round-the-clock emergency monitoring services. If a medical emergency arises, the 4G-enabled watch can serve as a two-way communication device, allowing you to speak with emergency dispatch. It also provides real-time GPS location to hasten the response time.
Also, when paired with the voice-activated WellBe Smart Speaker, it lets seniors easily:
- Monitor their physical activity and health data
- Get the reminders they need to stay on track with health providers’ instructions
- Communicate with friends, family, and emergency contacts
The WellBe devices can also integrate with a mobile app. Family members or other caregivers can use this app to stay updated on their loved one’s well-being.
If you want extra peace of mind about your family member’s health and safety, shop for a WellBe Smartwatch today.
Would you like more information and guidance as you navigate caring for older adults? Download HandsFree Health’s complimentary guide, Caring for Aging Parents 101.