The Best Emergency Necklace for Seniors: How to Choose
For many older adults, falling is a real concern. The CDC reports that falls are the leading cause of injury and injury-related death among those aged 65 and over. Although fall prevention is a priority for both seniors and their caregivers, it’s important to recognize that accidents are always a risk and that steps should be taken to ensure help is easily accessible when it’s needed most.
Although some seniors balk at the idea of using a medical alert system, an emergency necklace like the HandsFree Health’s WellBe® pendant offers a discreet yet effective way to contact help when necessary. Part of the WellBe family of medical alert devices, the Pendant is small enough to wear under clothing but powerful enough to give seniors and their caregivers (including senior living community staff) peace of mind.
If you are considering an emergency alert necklace for yourself or a loved one, knowing what to look for ensures that the system has all the features you need.
Who Needs a Medical Alert Emergency Necklace?
Although seniors tend to be the most frequent users of medical alert emergency necklaces and other devices, they aren’t designed only for older or homebound adults. These devices benefit anyone who is at a greater risk of needing emergency assistance, including:
- Individuals with injuries or conditions that cause balance and coordination issues
- Individuals with severe allergies
- Individuals who live alone
- Individuals with severe medical conditions or conditions that can create an emergency like epilepsy, COPD, diabetes, or asthma
- Individuals with cognitive conditions
In situations when seconds count, being able to reach assistance immediately can mean the difference between life and death.
However, an advanced emergency necklace can do more than 24/7 emergency medical monitoring if someone falls or has a medical incident. An emergency necklace like the WellBe Pendant provides:
Contact Calling. Wearers can use the side button on the emergency necklace to call a loved one or caregiver with the emergency contact calling.
Location information. The emergency necklace will automatically inform our central station of their location via GPS location services, helping first responders get to them faster.
Fall detection. If the device detects a hard fall, emergency services can automatically reach out to check on the user — and send help when needed.
Two-way communication. In a fall or a medical emergency, an emergency necklace allows the wearer to communicate directly with responders with two-way voice communication.
These Pendant features — especially when used in conjunction with WellBe’s Smart Speaker and SmartWatch — provide unparalleled peace of mind and convenience.
What to Look for in an Emergency Alert Necklace
When you’re looking for the best medical alert necklace for seniors, you have many options to choose from. Knowing what to look for can help you make sense of the options and choose the best one for your needs. When comparing your options, ask the following questions:
- Does it work on the go? Some medical alert systems are only effective when within a certain distance of the receiver, and aren’t appropriate for use away from home.
- Does it offer 24-hour access to emergency services?
- Does it include fall detection?
- Does the device use GPS or a location service to send EMS to your exact location?
- Does the device let you know when it needs to be charged? Some will provide verbal notications vibrate when it’s time to charge the battery.
- Is the device water-resistant? Can it be worn while bathing?
- Does it integrate with other devices or applications for additional services, like medication reminders?
- Is the emergency necklace comfortable and discreet?
- Does it allow you to call contacts other than medical monitoring, like a caregiver or loved one?
The WellBe Pendant checks all these boxes and more.
The Pendant is HandsFree Health’s smallest medical alert device, measuring less than two inches wide and only half an inch deep. It can be easily worn under clothing without anyone knowing it’s there. It offers powerful 4G cellular data, 24-hour access to emergency assistance, and GPS-enabled location services, as well as a long-lasting built-in lithium battery with a magnetic charging dock. It’s also water-resistant and durable, making it ideal for use on the go.
Learn More About WellBe Medical Alert Systems
Whether you’re aging in place and living on your own, caring for an aging loved one, or managing a senior living community, a WellBe medical alert system can provide peace of mind that help is available any time it’s needed.
To learn more about how technology can help keep seniors healthy and comfortable, download The Senior Living Community Guide to Senior-Focused Technology. This comprehensive guide was developed with senior caregivers and community managers in mind and reveals how everyone can benefit from the WellBe® family of products. You can also shop now and choose the medical alert system that works best for you.